Tuesday 30 June 2015

WRAP-UP: June 2015

I have had a very successful reading month. I didn't exactly follow my TBR list, but I read some great books (and a few not-so-great), and I'm feeling good about maintaining my good reading habits for the months ahead. So let me tell you about the amazing books I read in the month of June :)

The Dark Space

by Mary Ann Rivers and Ruthie Knox
I really didn't love this book. I had high expectations, the buzz around it was awesome, the synopsis promising, but in the end, this book was an epic fail. It saddens me that I hated this book, as it was co-authored by one of my favourite authors.

Rating: ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ // Full Review

Saga, Volume 1 (Saga, #1-6)

by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
AND THEN I READ THE MOST AMAZING STORY EVER. This was my first ever graphic novel read, and I absolutely loved it. It was a beautiful story told through incredible writing and beautiful artwork. So much love for this one!

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review

All the Bright Places

by Jennifer Niven
There was a lot of hype around this book when it was released in January, and I got caught up in the rave reviews and purchased a copy of the book. It wasn't until this month that I finally got around to giving it a read. However, I was grossly disappointed. I had to put this one down at page 158, because I just wasn't enjoying it at all, and wanted to move onto something else.

A Pound of Flesh (A Pound of Flesh, #1)

by Sophie Jackson
This book was amazing. Reading this book filled me with happiness, joy and nostalgia. It was exciting, thrilling, suspenseful and offered so much throughout as it was a pretty long book that had a lot of different things happening. It was a whole lot of fun, and I can't wait to read its sequels.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review

Songs of Submission Series

by C.D. Reiss
Then I went on a crazy erotica reading binge with the Songs of Submission series. The plot was juicy, the characters strong and well-developed, and the writing was, surprising, of a high quality that I don't often see in erotic fiction. Monica was definitely the highlight of the series, as a strong, independent woman. With Jonathan, she becomes an undeniable force of power.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review

Saga, Volume 2 (Saga, #7-12)

by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Praise the gods behind Australia Post for delivering me this volume before I went insane from my withdrawals. It arrived towards the end of my addiction to the Songs of Submission series, so as soon as I finished those, I dove straight into this graphic novel. It was all kinds of epic, and I loved it just as much, if not more, than the first. So, so, so much love for this series.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review


I'm also currently reading The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas. I was hoping to have finished this by the end of June, but I'll now include it in my July TBR, which is also likely to include the rest of the Throne of Glass series. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'll share more of my thoughts in my upcoming review and July wrap-up.

So, in the month of June, I achieved the following:

  • I completed my Goodreads Reading Challenge! Given, I had only set it to thirty books, because I wasn't expecting to be able to read too much this year, but I'm so excited that I was able to complete my challenge in only half of a year. I'll probably up my challenge to sixy and try to read another thirty books in the second half of the year.
  • I read a total of twelve books. This includes the first eight novellas in the Songs of Submission series, and excludes All the Bright Places.
  • I read three out of five books from my June TBR (this includes All the Bright Places, because I at least attempted it). I considered picking up The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, but I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to pick it up this month, so I'll try to pick it up later on in the year. I also wasn't feeling in the mood for any Shakespeare, but I hope to pick up one of his plays sooner rather than later.
All in all, it was a fairly good reading month for me, especially considering that I didn't read anything in the month of May. I'm hoping I can keep up this reading momentum in July before I will inevitably have to slow down when my semester starts up again at the end of the month.

Let me know what you read this month, or your thoughts on the books I read this month. I'd love to hear from you.

If you'd like to keep up with my reading progress throughout the month, feel free to follow me on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment