Sunday 28 June 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Saga, Volume 2

Author: Brian K. Vaughan
Artist: Fiona Staples
Series: Saga, #7-12
Published: 2 July 2013 by Image Comics
Genres: Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Comic
Format: Trade Paperback
Source: Purchased
Links: Goodreads, Publisher

Synopsis:


From award-winning writer Brian K. Vaughan (Pride of Baghdad, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, Done to Death), Saga is sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the universe. Thanks to her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana, newborn baby Hazel has already survived lethal assassins, rampaging armies, and horrific monsters, but in the cold vastness of outer space, the little girl encounters her strangest adventure yet... grandparents.

Rating:

Review and Discussion:


This volume is a fantastic continuation of the series, with just as much action, drama, suspense, humour and entertainment. It is a series that I know I will be dedicated to for many years to come; as long as it is being published, I will be reading it.

It was refreshing and lovely to reacquaint myself with Vaughan's fantastic writing style and Staples's gorgeous artwork. The writing continues to deliver an engaging story, with sarcastic characters, witty comments and individualised character voices that make the reading experience so enjoyable. The artwork is just as beautiful, if not more so, than in the previous volume, and I had forgotten how much I loved it.

As I was reading this volume in particular, all I could think about was how much I wanted this whole comic book series tattooed across my whole body. Every frame, every character, every word. I love it all so, so much, and I just want to be able to have some of my favourite characters with me forever. Alana is probably my favourite character at the moment; I feel a really strong connection with her, her actions, her beliefs, her morals, her backstory. I can't wait to explore her character in future publications, and if I ever were to get a Saga tattoo, she would be the character I'd have inked on my skin first.

There's not really much more I can say about this graphic novel without giving away spoilers or repeating what I've said in my review of Volume 1. Essentially, this graphic novel keeps me on my toes, surprising me with every turn of the page, making me laugh and gasp and cry and feel all the emotions all at once. It is one of my favourite series I've ever read, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone, lovers of graphic novels or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment