Saturday 27 June 2015

BOOK TAG: Unpopular Opinions!

I was tagged by the lovely Crystal at Infinite Ink to do this tag, which was originally created by TheBookArcher. Unpopular opinions are something I rarely express, because wow the internet can be an intolerant environment, but they can also be something fun when done in a respectful, considerate way. I hope I've managed to achieve that in my answers for this tag.

1. A popular book or series that I didn't like

The Shatter Me Trilogy by Tahereh Mafi. This series started out okay, and I tried to love it because of the hype, but by halfway through the second book I was bored and frustrated and couldn't even try to enjoy it. I persisted through the series because I had purchased them all thinking I'd automatically love them, but I was so disappointed. I can see why the series appeals to some, but I just couldn't find myself enjoying the characters or the plot or the dystopian world.

2. A popular book or series that I love but every one else hates

For this one, I'm going to choose We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. When this book was released last year, most of the reviews were scathing. So many people hated this book, hated the plot twist, and couldn't appreciate the characters and their role. I, on the other hand, absolutely adored this book. It was one of my favourites of 2014, and I know that it will be one I re-read many times into the future.

3. A canon ship that I don't agree with

The Infernal Devices has a massive, complex, over-emphasised love triangle that I just couldn't appreciate. I was all for Team Will, and didn't see any valid arguments for Team Jem. If the love triangle could be removed from the series, it would be perfect. And my enjoyment of the series came from everything beyond the love triangle. I think Cassandra Clare took the easy, 'cop-out' option for how she ended the trilogy and determined who Tessa ended up with, which just made me hate this love triangle even more.

4. A popular book genre that I hardly reach for

I don't think I've ever read a single mystery novel. They just don't appeal to me. In my mind, mystery is a sister genre of thriller/horror, because it's designed to keep you on edge, never knowing what's going to happen next, and it could turn awful and gruesome without any warning. If I were to ever pick up a mystery novel, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins would be my first choices, but beyond that, I don't even know of many mystery authors/books to pick from.

5. A popular or beloved character that I do not like

Noah Shaw from the Mara Dyer Trilogy by Michelle Hodkin. Those who love the series seem to be completely and irrevocably devoted and in love with Noah Shaw. Personally, I wasn't a fan of him from the beginning. He was unnecessarily distant and confusing, and I just don't think he was a good match for Mara Dyer, especially at that point in her life. He seemed a bit controlling at times, didn't take her condition seriously on some occasions, and just an annoying character all-round.

6. A popular author that I can't get into

It seems like everyone in the world is obsessed with Colleen Hoover. There is so much hype around her books, so of course I became intrigued and eventually caved in and purchased Ugly Love. I have a passion for good new adult fiction, and everyone was recommending Ugly Love, so I went in with very high expectations. Safe to say, I was pretty disappointed. The writing wasn't anything spectacular, the characters were frustrating, and I just didn't enjoy the general plot direction of the story. Following this story, all Colleen Hoover books were removed from my TBR. Sorry, not sorry.

7. A popular book trope that I'm tired of seeing

For this one, I'm going with the "jealous boy" trope. This is kinda linked to the love triangle trope, which I can enjoy only when there are no jealous boys involved. Jealous boys include Jacob Black (Twilight), Adam Kent (Shatter Me), and Gale Hawthorne (The Hunger Games). Love triangles? Sure, I can enjoy them if they're done right. Jealous boys? Not a chance in hell.

8. A popular series that I have no interest in reading

I have absolutely no interest in reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan, or any Riordan book for that matter. Apparently every Gen-Y in the world read these books as part of their childhood, and somehow I missed the memo. Out of curiosity, I started reading the first chapter when I saw the book on my cousin's bookshelf, but I couldn't get past three pages. It was weird and confusing, and I just don't think it's a series I would enjoy. If I had read it as a child, I'm sure I'd have loved it, but as an adult, it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

9. A movie/T.V. adaptation that is better than the book

I find no fault with the books in The Hunger Games Trilogy. In my opinion, they are perfect and cannot be improved anywhere. So please don't think I don't love the books when I say that the movies are so, so, so much better. The action, the extended scenes, the array of perspectives possible, and the visual journey of the movies is such an amazing experience. I'm so proud of this series and Suzanne Collins for experiencing such worldwide success. This is definitely my favourite book and movie franchise, and I'm going to be a basket case of emotions when Mockingjay Part 2 is finally released. (Okay, I realise this isn't really an unpopular opinion, but I couldn't think of anything else for this question.)

Let me know what you think about my responses! What are your unpopular bookish opinions? I'd love to know!

Thank you again to Crystal for tagging me!

I'm going to tag:
Hanna from Gimme Books
Kieran from Book Bitch Reviews
and anyone else who wants to do this tag!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with 3 & 7, but I'm really sad you didn't like Noah! I totally get why you didn't like him though.

    ReplyDelete