Wednesday 24 June 2015

TOP 5 WEDNESDAY: Characters I Wish I Could Drown



So if there was a legal loophole that protected me from being found guilty of murder on all charges, I would not hesitate one moment to drown the following characters.

Honourable Mentions:

Dolores Umbridge from the Harry Potter series
Gale Hawthorne from the Hunger Games series
Evelyn Johnson-Eaton from the Divergent series

5. Juliette Ferrars, Aaron Warner and Adam Kent

I really did not enjoy the Shatter Me series, mostly because of the characters. They drove me crazy. Juliette, Warner and Adam all had me tearing my hair out. I was able to tolerate Kenji, so I might save him, but I would definitely drown everyone else.

4. Blake Saunders

Blake's role in the Lux series was a huge cause of my reading stress – he was so effing frustrating and I hated him with every ounce of my being. Love triangles usually annoy me, but this one absolutely enraged me in the best way possible. I loved hating him. That sounds stupid, but it's absolutely true. His character was complex, his backstory tragic, but if given the chance, I would not hesitate to drown him with a smile on my face.

3. President Snow

I don't know if I've read a character so inherently, deliberately evil. This man has no redemming qualities, nothing to even make me love hating him. His character is so grotesquely evil, and I hate him with a burning passion akin to Katniss's. I would happily drown him and then laugh as I watch his body crash down a waterfall.

2. Richie

Eleanor's stepdad is nothing short of terrifying. He is a monster, and reading about his abusive behaviour made me feel sick. His character was such a powerful, potent element to Eleanor and Park, and probably the number one thing that I keep thinking about, a year after reading the book. He is absolutely terrifying, but what is more terrifying is that there are people in the real world who are just like Richie, or who could make his character look like a fluffy bunny.

1. Marcus Eaton

And on a similar vein to Richie, Marcus has terrified me for a much longer period. His abuse of both his wife and son is disgusting, and it highlighted the bravery of my favourite character from the Divergent series – his son. The fact that he doesn't even consider his actions abusive or detrimental to the wellbeing of his family is awful, and his victim blaming is just unacceptable. There is no justification for his actions, and I would love to watch him drown.



I think that's enough negativity for one day. I'm off to think happy thoughts, have a cup of tea and read a book! Let me know in the comments below what you think of the characters I've listed here, and which characters you would drown. I'd love to hear from you :)

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Lainey of gingerreadslainey. I tend to participate only when the topic tickles my fancy and isn’t too difficult. Today was one of those occasions.

5 comments:

  1. YES RICHIE IS ON MY LIST AS WELL!! I thought no one would think of putting him on their list, so happy to see this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I forgot about President Snow! He would have been on my list too.

    Here's mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richie is on my list as well! Oh my god he separated Eleanor and Park! Seriously they were my OTP!

    Heres mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ritchie is a perfect person to be on this list. I didn't even think about him and I loved that book! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't remember Richie, but yes! He was awful.

    ReplyDelete