Tuesday 9 June 2015

TV REVIEW: The Vampire Diaries (Season 1)

The fact that I am reviewing Season 1 of The Vampire Diaries is ridiculous, because this season is already five years old and everyone and their mother has seen it. But as they all say, better late than never.

I did start watching this series when it first aired, and I absolutely loved it. I watched it religiously every Monday night, and it was always the best hour of my week. Then the mid-season finale happened, although I thought it was the full season finale, so I changed up my Monday night schedule and sort of forgot about watching the series. And then when I realised it was back on air, it was too late to catch up.

But then a magical thing called Netflix came to Australia, and lo and behold I re-established my love for this series. And it was better than I had remembered it from 2009!

I wish I had taken some detailed notes so that I could review the series, but I didn't even think about writing a review at the time of watching the show. All I was thinking was 'omg Stefan is so hot' about 85% of the time. It was a serious issue sometimes :P What mostly prompted me to write this review was probably the last ~3 minutes of the season finale... because holy shit.

My favourite thing about The Vampire Diaries is the characters. There are so many interesting and fascinating characters that I love to see throughout the show. Damon, Alaric and Bonnie are probably my favourite characters; Stefan and Elena are my #1 ship; and Katherine and her 'minions' are my favourite antagonists. I don't know how closely these characters resemble their book characters and whether they've been adapted faithfully, but they are fantastic nonetheless.

The writing of this series is also fantastic; the plot, when mixed with wonderful characters, is truly thrilling. There were insane cliffhangers to almost every episode, and I was oh so very thankful that I didn't have to wait a week between each one! I would have gone bananas if I'd have had to wait a week or more to see S01E20 after that distressing cliffhanger!

ALSO THE SEASON FINALE IS STILL KILLING ME

I resisted the temptation to start Season 2 immediately, because I wanted to write this review. My head was spinning with that massive plot twist. One second I'm like, "Ohmygod Elena why are you kissing him??" then "Ohmygod Elena you chopped his fingers off???" quickly followed by "OHMYGOD THAT WASN'T ELENA AT ALL!!!!!!!1!!1!!!!1" It was a pretty crazy whirlwind, lemme tell ya!

All in all, the characters were great, the acting was superb, the writing flawless and the production beautifully creepy. I love, love, love this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment