Tuesday 15 September 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books You Should Read INSTEAD OF Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Feeling in the mood for a sexy, romantic, exciting new adult read? Please, whatever you do, do not pick up Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. I cannot think of a book worse than this one. If you want to actually enjoy the new adult genre, steer clear of McGuire.

You can read all about why I hated this book in my review. My thoughts are fairly brief, but I didn't like the idea of writing a massive review/rant when my energy could be better spent elsewhere... such as talking about books that are actually worth a read! (There are plenty of other amazing reviews on Goodreads that explore the horrors of this book in more detail, if you're interested.)

So this week, for Top Ten Tuesday's freebie post, I'm going to list ten books that you should read instead of Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. They might not necessarily be my favourite books, but they are leagues better than the stack of shit McGuire wrote.

10. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Hoover is one of McGuire's author buddies, so it's no surprise that their writing styles, flat characters and dull plot lines are pretty similar. Ugly Love is of the same calibre as Beautiful Disaster, but at least it actually reads well. The characters are problematic, but at least their crappy behaviour has a reason behind it and actually adds to the plot and drama.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ // Full Review


9. This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

This one is a young adult contemporary romance, but it's much more mature and realistic than Beautiful Disaster. There is gorgeous, soul-crushing angst in this book, sweet and well-developed characters, an interesting plot beyond the romance, and a satisfying ending. This book has a wonderful plot structure, and every little event feels important to the whole story. It's cute, it's fluffy, it's awkward, it's enjoyable!

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review

8. Songs of Submission by C.D. Reiss

This series of novellas is straight-up erotica, but at least the love story actually has substance and is interesting. Given that it is part of the erotica genre, it is inevitably problematic, but here's the difference: a strong female lead character who doesn't take the sexist, abusive shit of the male characters. The plot beyond the sex is just as engaging, and all round this is a really enjoyable series.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review

7. A Pound of Flesh by Sophie Jackson

Though it is a little problematic, at least this fanfiction-turned-published-novel is interesting and exciting and sexy and actually worth reading! The premise is what hooked me on this book, being a prison tutor falling in love with one of the prisoners, and the book delivers on its promise of scandal, taboo and an agonisingly frustrating romance. This is one that will keep you hooked!

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review


6. Truly by Ruthie Knox

Aw, man, is this a wonderful romance book! I read this one so long ago, but I've re-read it a number of times since and still love it all the same! Though it is a little slow in places, it's pay-off is definitely worth the wait. The characters are rich and complex, their romance tangled with complications, and the book just leaves you with a warm, fuzzy feeling in your heart.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

5. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Um, if you haven't read this book, I don't know what you're doing with your life. Though this is young-adult, its romance is rich and enticing and addicting and wonderfully developed and beautifully told. Set in the romantic city of Paris, this book does not disappoint, with intriguing and complex characters, witty comedy, and girls who stick up for themselves despite the idiot boys they come across.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4. If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Again, young adult books, but with a romance fitting characters beyond their maturity. Its sequel can be classified as a new adult book, but obviously I'm not going to talk about that one because of spoilers. I love both of these books with all my heart, adore each of the characters, and have shed many a few buckets of tears over their love story. This is one to read with a box of tissues nearby.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review

3. Night of Cake and Puppets by Laini Taylor

Yep, that's right, I'm including a 100-page novella in my list, because I think you can read it without reading the whole series, and still enjoy it more than Beautiful Disaster. Mik and Zuzana are probably two of my favourite characters from any book, ever, and their love story is one for the ages. In just 100 pages, Taylor is able to craft and deliver a beautiful story of angst, desire and sweet, tender romance without a hint of cheese.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review

2. About Last Night by Ruthie Knox

Another one by Ruthie Knox, the queen of adult romance (hello cheesy and gorgeous cover!). About Last Night is one of my all-time favourite books, because it is able to tell a beautiful, passionate love story with umph. There are no weak elements to this story; everything is crafted with careful precision and tied up in one beautiful, sexy package. And who knew a guy named Neville could be so goddamn sexy!

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review

1. Caroline & West by Robin York

Forever in first place is this duology, written under Knox's new adult pen name. This is the realest, most accurate portrayal of "new adults" (late teens, early twenties) that I have read thus far. Their lives, their struggles, their thoughts and ambitions are all so close to home, and I loved it! The character development that goes on in this duology is phenomenal, and serves the basis for everything else in this book. Move aside, Travis Maddox. West Leavitt will forever hold the throne as the best fictional boyfriend in new adult.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review

I really hope that this post has been able to draw your attention to books more worthy of your time and money than Beautiful Desire by Jamie McGuire. There are so many more, but these are just a few personal favourites close to my heart. If you've read any of the books I've listed, tell me how you liked them! Or if you have any other books more worthy of a read, please be sure to let me know!

And a quick sidenote: I'm not trying to insult readers who do enjoy Beautiful Disaster, because I know we all have different tastes and enjoy different stories. I just hope that if you do enjoy that book, you enjoy it critically. I hope that you can see how problematic the characters are, and are able to acknowledge it fully. And I just really, really hope no one out there is pining for a Travis Maddox of their own, because that would be my absolute worst nightmare.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. I tend to participate only when the topic tickles my fancy and isn’t too difficult. Today was one of those occasions.

5 comments:

  1. I've never read Beautiful Disaster and never will. I've heard awful things about it, and frankly—just no thank you. I really need to read Ugly Love though. I read Maybe Someday and loved it. I need more CoHo obviously.

    My list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I had read some reviews on Beautiful Disaster before diving into it with such high expectations :( I received the book as a birthday gift, so I really wanted to enjoy it, but I was so majorly disappointed.
      I enjoyed Ugly Love, but I think it was a little over-hyped for my liking. Like, it was a good book, but maybe not as good as everyone was raving about?

      Delete
  2. Ugly Love is my favorite from Colleen Hoover. All of her books are amazing! Have you read Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan? If not, I highly recommend it. SO good! Also, I haven't read Anna & The French Kiss yet. (So, I don't know what I'm doing with my life either). BUT, it's on my Kindle, along with dozens of other books that are waiting to be read. Awesome list! I love the topic. It made me laugh. I haven't read Beautiful Disaster but I did read your review. Not sure if I'll be picking that one up. Check out my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Archer's Voice, but the synopsis sounds interesting so I shall keep in on my radar, thank you! (And you should definitely read Anna and the French Kiss. It's the best cutesy book I've come across!)
      I began drafting this post about a week ago as soon as I had finished reading Beautiful Disaster, because I was just so angry with the book and I had to get all my frustration out - so writing this post was very theraputic! :)

      Delete
  3. oh goobers, yes! Completely agree with you! I couldn't finish Beautiful Disaster - it was that awful. My TTT

    ReplyDelete