Sunday 12 July 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Ms. Marvel, Volume 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona

Ms. Marvel, Volume 1: No Normal

Artist: Adrian Alphona
Series: Ms. Marvel (Marvel NOW!), #1-5
Published: 30 October 2014 by Marvel
Source: Purchased
Links: Goodreads

Synopsis:


Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, Jersey!

Rating:

Review and Discussion:


This volume was a pure delight. I was not too sure what to expect from this comic series, as I have never consumed Marvel media in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have no experience with superheroes, and very limited exposure to comics, but I'm confident in saying that Ms. Marvel looks to be a promising series that embraces diversity and celebrates feminism.

My favourite thing about this volume was the humour. I can strongly relate to Kamala's sense of humour, her sarcastic wit, and the good nature of her humour. She is smart and funny, and these qualities really drew me in and allowed me to strongly connect with her character. Her friendships were also a delight to read, and her family was an absolute joy. I think her brother is my favourite character so far, but it's hard not to love everyone.

Though this was a hugely enjoyable first volume, I did have an issue with the clichés and stereotypes. As I mentioned, I am not familiar with any superhero stories, but Kamala's beginnings just felt like a cliché. Sneaking out of home, randomly getting superpowers, embracing those powers without really figuring out why she suddenly has them, having a family who doesn't understand, and a best friend who you argue with but then make up with who helps and supports you. It felt like I had read it so many times before, just with characters changed here and there.

And although the diversity is wonderful, I worry that perhaps Kamala's family, friends and religion are somewhat stereotyped and oversimplified. From my perspective, Kamala's diversity was presented in a positive light with an entertaining twist, but it is easy to see how her brother's character, her parents' over-bearing concern, and the emphasis of her religion may have been stereotyped. I'm hoping that future volumes will explore more of Kamala's diversity and allow us to explore all the characters to give them a purpose beyond their stereotypes.

I'm also hoping that some of the confusion I have (such as how she even got her powers in the first place) are explored in later volumes. But so far, this first volume was wonderful, and I can't wait to see how everything else develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment