Friday 31 July 2015

WRAP-UP: July 2015

This month was a fairly productive reading month for me. Though I wasn't able to get through all the books I listed on my TBR, I did get through most of them. Importantly, I got through four massive tomes that have been sitting on my shelf for about a year, just waiting to be read. This was the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. Based on this series alone, I read 1,819 pages! That number truly astounds me, and I can't believe I was able to get through all of those pages and more in one month. So it was a very successful reading month for me, and I enjoyed most of the books I read.

The Assassin's Blade

by Sarah J. Maas
I read most of this one in June, but finished it off in July. The prequel novellas in this volume added to the world-building and character developments that are expanded upon in Throne of Glass. It was mostly entertaining, but a little slow at times. The best thing about this collection was seeing Celaena's life as Adarlan's kick-ass Assassin.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ // Full Review

Throne of Glass

by Sarah J. Maas
Then I dove into re-reading Throne of Glass, and I enjoyed it so much more than when I first read it in August last year. Though my enjoyment was mostly because I had read The Assassin's Blade beforehand, I think this book is still deserving of its four stars. It was thrilling and entertaining, and Celaena is a wonderful leading character.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review

Saga, Volume 3

by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
To avoid entering into a reading slump from reading the massive tomes of the Throne of Glass series, I picked up the third volume of Saga. It was the perfectly light, easy read that I needed before diving into Crown of Midnight. I really enjoyed this volume, and what it lacked in action it made up for in fascinating character developments.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review

Crown of Midnight

by Sarah J. Maas
I really, really, really loved this sequel. I definitely enjoyed it more than Throne of Glass, because it was mysterious, unpredictable, romanctic, witty, clever, and a thrill-ride from the very first page. My only issue was that perhaps there was too much going on, and I often became confused by the multiple plot lines. But all-in-all, it was an absolutely fantastic read.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review

Saga, Volume 4

by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Then I picked up the final published volume of Saga, and I was a little underwhelmed by it. It seemed to lack the gusto of previous volumes, which I found a little disappointing. It was filled with some crazy awesome characters in a dynamic world that compelled me to continue reading, but in the end this one felt a lot like a "filler" volume.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ // Full Review

Ms. Marvel, Volume 1: No Normal

by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona
After reading Saga, Volume 4, I was in the mood for another quick read, so I picked up the first volume of the rebooted Ms. Marvel series. And it was a delight; I loved the diversity, Kamala herself, and the genuine, good-natured humour throughout. Though it had a few clichés and stereotypes, it was still a wonderful introduction to the world of superheroes.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ // Full Review

Coda

by C.D. Reiss
I was pretty disappointed by this novella. I had hoped it would make me fall in love with Reiss's world and characters all over again, but it just didn't work for me. It felt like there was no structure to this novella, and random things happened just for the sake of having something to write a book about. Though I did appreciate the raw emotion, it was mostly a disappointment.

Rating: ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ // Series Review

Heir of Fire

by Sarah J. Maas
This book was a total chore to read. The first 400 pages or so were so boring that they drove me crazy. The last 200 were moderately interesting. This book was just filled with a whole lot unnecessary characters and uninteresting plot lines. Even Celaena lost some of her charm in this one.

Rating: ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ // Full Review



And so, my reading achievements for the month of July are...

  • I read a total of eight books. And some of them were mahoosive!
  • I am now completely up-to-date on two series! I have read all the published volumes of Saga, and all the published novels of the Throne of Glass series.
  • I finished a series! Coda was an additional novella to the Songs of Submission series, and although it wasn't necessary reading, I feel like I have a bit more closure on the series and the beautiful characters.
Though I wish I could continue to read this amount of books next month, I know that won't be possible. My uni semester has just started up again, and already I'm overwhelmed by the weekly readings and assignments. I do hope to keep reading something, at least, so look forward to my August TBR tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment