Monday 31 August 2015

WRAP-UP: August 2015

This month has been a really busy one for me, so I haven't been able to find much time to read. Most of the books that I read this month were read in the first week or so of August, and then my classes really picked up, so I had to put my reading on hold. That said, I'm still ahead on my Goodreads Reading Challenge, so I'm not too concerned about having to slow down my reading for the next few months. That said, here are the books I read in the month of August.

Ms. Marvel, Volume 2: Generation Why

by G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona and Jacob Wyatt
This was my first read for the month, and the first for my failed attempt at completing the BooktubeAThon. It was a quick and fast read, but it didn't really excite me. It seems that this series is going in a direction opposite of my expectations, and so this volume was somewhat of a disappointment.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ // Full Review

Night of Cake and Puppets

by Laini Taylor
This little novella was quite a delight. It was wonderful to be able to revisit my two favourite characters from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, Zuzana and Mik, and see how their first night together played out. Throughout this novella, I was grinning and smiling and cheering them both on. Mik is too good for words, and Zuzana is an icon

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ // Full Review

Risk

by Fleur Ferris
I read this book for the Aussie Bloggers Book Club, and I really enjoyed it. Though I did have a few issues with the pacing and characters, I still think it is a really important novel for teens to read. It deals with issues of online safety and the risks of online predators, and it does it in a really uplifting, insightful way. Definitely check it out.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ // Full Review

Obsidian

by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I was in the mood for an indulgent re-read, so I picked up this one. The Lux series is one of my favourites, and I really enjoyed being able to immerse myself in the world again. Though I read it more critically this time, it still remains one of my favourites. I plan to continue re-reading the rest of the series ahead of the release of Oblivion in December.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ // Full Review

The Rabbits

by John Marsden and Shaun Tan
I read this book this month because I have tickets to see its opera adaptation in October. I've been excited about the opera ever since I heard of it, so to keep me sane in the weeks leading up to it, I thought I would treat myself to a gorgeous copy of its source material. Safe to say, I absolutely loved this story, the artwork and its overall message. A must-read for children.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm also, very slowly, making my way through My Story by Julia Gillard. I'm only taking this slowly, reading a chapter here-and-there, because it's quite a long, dense read. I have no reading goal for this one, other than wanting it to be finished by the end of the year.

I'll be back tomorrow to post my September TBR.

No comments:

Post a Comment